indicates that you're happy to accept cookies.
Click Here to view our Privacy
+44 (0)7824 445 firstname.lastname@example.org
Coldstream Guards Officers Sword By Wilkinson
The regimental pattern Coldstream Guards Officers Sword of Brigadier General Herbert William Studd, CB, CMG, DSO (26 December 1870 – 8 August 1947)
Herbert Studd was one of six sons of Edward Studd, a rich planter, of Tedworth House, Tidworth, Wiltshire. His brother John would go on to be Lord Mayor of London. Studd was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge
Studd was commissioned into the Coldstream Guards as a second lieutenant on 25 July 1891, and promoted to lieutenant on 2 January 1897.
In 1894 Herbert Studd married Mary Cole, née de Vere, granddaughter of Sir Aubrey de Vere, 2nd Baronet. She was widow of Major William Cole, 3rd Dragoon Guards (one of their sons was Horace de Vere Cole). They had two daughters. She died in 1930 and he married Alice Maude Tullis.
He served in South Africa through the Second Boer War 1899-1902; where he took part in operations in the Orange Free State (April to May 1900), the Transvaal (May to June 1900, July to November 1900) and Cape Colony; and was present at several major battles, including at Belmont, Enslin and Modder River (November 1899), Magersfontein (December 1899), Poplar Grove and Driefontein (March 1900), Diamond Hill (June 1900), Bergendal and Komatipoort (August 1900). For his services during the war, he was promoted to captain on 11 February 1900, and was awarded the Queen’s and King’s Medals, a mention in despatches and the Distinguished Service Order (DSO).
He passed the Staff College in 1905 and served as Deputy Assistant Adjutant-General, London District 1905–09 and as GSO2 at the War Office 1912–14. He served through the Great War, was severely wounded and mentioned in despatches, and was awarded the CMG, CB and numerous foreign orders. He was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel, brevet Colonel and temporary Brigadier-General. During the war he first commanded 19th Reserve Brigade, then 180th Brigade. He was Chief of Staff of XI Corps 1916–17 and of the British Section of the Supreme War Council 1917-1919. He returned to England to command his regiment in 1919 and retired on account of ill-health caused by wounds in 1923, when he was granted the honorary full rank of Brigadier-General.
In addition to his military career, and like his brothers, Studd was a prolific cricketer. He was a right-handed batsman. He made his first-class debut for Middlesex against the touring Australians in 1890. During the match Studd took his only first-class wicket, that of Jack Blackham. This match was to be Studd's only appearance for Middlesex.
Studd's next first-class appearance came in the same season for the Marylebone Cricket Club, playing two first-class matches against Cambridge University and Oxford University. Five years later Studd toured Ireland with the Marylebone Cricket Club, playing a single first-class match against Dublin University, during which he made his maiden first-class half century, scoring 71. This was Studd's final first-class match for the club. In Studd's three matches for the club he scored 132 runs at an average of 26.40, with a high score of 71.
In 1898 Studd joined Hampshire, making his debut for the club in the County Championship against Leicestershire, where on debut Studd made scores of 49 and 44. Studd's second first-class half century came later in the season against Sussex, where he scored 60 in Hampshire's first innings. Studd's final first-class match came against Warwickshire later in the 1898 season. In his five first-class matches for the county he scored 217 runs at an average of 31.00, with a high score of 60.
In his overall first-class career Studd scored 352 runs at an average of 27.07.
Studd died at Bayswater, London on 8 August 1947.
Herbert Studd's Honours include:
Companion of The Most Honourable Order of the Bath (CB)
Companion of The Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George (CMG)
Distinguished Service Order (DSO)
Queen's South Africa Medal with six clasps
King's South Africa Medal with two clasps
Mention in Despatches (South African War)
Mention in Despatches (Great War) (twice)
Commander, Legion of Honour (France)
Officer, Order of Leopold (Belgium)
Croce di Guerra (Italy)
Commander, Order of the Crown of Italy
Distinguished Service Medal (U.S. Army)
The sword itself in very fine condition, retaining 95+% of its shagreen grip, and all of its silver twistwire binding. Superb hilt with well defined Coldstream Guards badge.
Near immaculate blade showing the Studd family crest, each side of the blade etched with regimental battle honours, and the regimental badge.
The blade has been service sharpened.
Housed in its original plated steel dress scabbard.
No sign of modern refurbishment.
An extremely fine sword which would be very difficult to upgrade.
The sword is accompanied by a small folder of research, and the original ledger page from the Wilkinson archives confirming sale of this sword to H.W. Studd.
Further images available upon request.
Strictly over 18's only.
Code: 52483Price: 1250.00 GBP
A PAIR Of Swords To The 5th Dragoon Guards: Not A VC!!
TWO Wilkinson swords, both regimentally engraved to the 5th Dragoon Guards and owned by Major Ralph Legge Pomeroy.
Ralph Legge Pomeroy, 8th Viscount Harberton, was born on 31 December 1869. He was the son of James Spencer Pomeroy, 6th Viscount Harberton and Florence Wallace Legge. He married Mary Katherine Leatham, daughter of Arthur William Leatham, on 25 June 1907. He graduated from Balliol College, Oxford, with a Bachelor of Arts (BA).
He fought in the Boer War between 1899 and 1902, during which he was severely wounded. He gained the rank of Major in the service of the General Reserve Officers, 5th Dragoon Guards. He fought in the First World War. He was invested as a Officer, Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1919.
Major Pomeroy complied the 5th's regimental history, entitled "The Story of a Regiment of Horse, being the regimental history from 1685 to 1922 of the 5th Charlotte of Wales's Dragoon Guard" in two volumes, the first of which was published in 1924.
He held the office of Justice of the Peace (JP) for Northamptonshire. He succeeded to the title of 8th Baron Harberton of Carbery, co. Kildare on 22 April 1944. He succeeded to the title of 8th Viscount Harberton on 22 April 1944. He died on 4 July 1956 at age 86.
Interestingly,in 1902 a set of Cigarette cards, entitled "VC Heroes-Boer War" were published by James Taddy & Company. Number 85 in the set features "Lieut.the Hon.R.Pomeroy.V.C"
It goes on to say that Pomeroy was "awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantly saving a comrade during a sortie from Ladysmith under heavy fire."
This would appear to be a case of mistaken identity, the award of the VC actually went to 2nd Lt. John Norwood, 5th Dragoon Guards. Sadly Pomeroy's name does not appear in the list of VC recipients. His regimental history also makes no mention of him being awarded a VC.
A number of officers of the 5th were put forward for the award, and knowing how the VC process works, it is likely that Pomeroy's name was amongst them, with the award eventually going to Norwood.
Nevertheless, a very interesting pair of regimental swords which require further research.
The swords themselves:
Sword No 31533 was sold by Wilkinson on 24th March 1892, and is described as a "Heavy Cavalry" sword with a 35 Inch blade.
This sword retains its full 35 inche blade, and does show signs of being sharpened for active service. It is fully etched, and this is bright and clear, without any areas of pitting, rubbing or loss. It carries the initials "R.L.P." to the left hand escutcheon, and the regimental badge of the 5th Dragoon Guards in the right. The proof slug is no longer present.
Unusually, for a sword of this period, the back strap is also etched with a "Centre of Percussion" arrow. I have not seen one of these etched on a sword of the late Victorian period, being more commonly associated with swords of the Mid Victorian era.
The hilt is in fine condition, with a thin misting of rust bloom to the interior of the guard. The shagreen has some wear to both sides, and whilst all the twistwire is present, some has come loose, and is slightly protruding.
The scabbard appears to have been plated at some point, but is a very good fit for the sword, with no "rattle" when shaken.
Generally a very good sword, with no major flaws, which would benefit from some careful cleaning to bring it back to a very high standard.
Sword No 39777 was sold by Wilkinson on 27th April 1904, and is described as a "Regulation Cavalry" sword with a 35 Inch blade.
This would appear to be a lighter sword for parade and levee use. It may also have been purchased in order to have the new monarch's cypher on the blade. Perhaps the Now Captain Pomeroy realised that swords and cavalry charges were becoming a thing of the past, and just fancied a lighter sword for day to day use.
Either way, this second sword is of equal quality to the first, having the 5th DG badge to the left hand side of the blade, and Pomeroy's crest and initials the right hand side. This blade is slightly dirtier than the first, and would benefit from a polish. Never the less, all the etching is still clear and visible, with no pitting or rubbing impeding it. This sword also carries the "centre of percussion" marking towards the lower end of the blades spine.
The guard is again dirty, and with some interior rusting, but it is very light and superficial, and will clean well. The shagreen is also mostly complete, with some wear to the left hand side, and at the edges. All the silver twistwire is as it should be.
The scabbard is a very good fit, and will hold the sword upside down without any problem. It also shows signs of plating, which has now also rusted.
Again, a fine sword in need of some careful attention. Both swords showing signs that they were hung on a wall for many years. Both swords are tight in their mounts with no movement.
Very unusual to find a pair of swords to the same officer, especially to a fighting regiment, which saw active service during the Boer War. Plenty of scope for research on the original owner, all in all, a bit of a dream for the advanced sword collector.
Both swords will come complete with their accompanying Wilkinson Sword Proof Book entries.
Further images available at 52485.
Strictly over 18's only.
Code: 52484Price: 1895.00 GBP
Pair Of Swords 5th Dragoon Guards
Further images of 52484
Code: 52485Price: On Request
Patent Hilt Officers Sword 16th LancersThe sword of Major Clive MacDonnell Dixon (10 February 1870 5 November 1914)
Dixon was the fifth-born in a family of 6 daughters and 2 sons of Sir Raylton Dixon (1838–1901), shipbuilder from Cleveland Dockyard, Middlesbrough-on-Tees, mayor of Middlesbrough in 1889, himself an amateur artist and caricaturist, and great, great grandson of George Dixon and great great nephew of Jeremiah Dixon.
His father, Sir Raylton Dixon, once voted the most popular man in Middlesbrough, owned the largest shipyard on the River Tees and was a notable figure in Middlesbrough’s social, civic andpolitical life. Sir Raylton and Elizabeth Dixon had two sons and six daughters; their elder son, Clive Macdonnell Dixon, was born on 10 February 1870. After education at Rugby and Sandhurst, Clive joined the 16th (The Queen’s) Lancers in 1890.
Appointed Second Lieutenant in the 16th Lancers in October 1890, and Captain in 1899.
In 1898 he briefly returned to England to marry Lilian Bell, the daughter of John Bell, of Rushpool Hall one of the Bell Brothers of Port Clarence Ironworks. Gertrude Bell, daughter of one of Lilian’s cousins, was delighted with the marriage, writing ‘we could scarcely have wished for anything better’. Lillian gave birth to three sons, Raylton, John and William and three daughters Margaret, Elizabeth and Barbara.
Like many of the Dixon family, and like his wife Lilian, Clive was an excellent amateur artist. During the four-month Siege of Ladysmith he produced a humorous picture book filled with his charming watercolour images entitled: ‘The Leaguer of Ladysmith’ which was well received; Queen Victoria had a copy. This material also appeared in the Ladysmith Lyre at the time of the siege. The Sphere praised the book, describing it as 'highly humorous and showing comic sketching genius'.
Several watercolours by Dixon are kept by the Africana Museum.
During the siege he was appointed Substansive Major Whilst serving on Sir George White VC's Staff.
With the end of the siege of Ladysmith Clive returned to Middlesbrough where he received a hero’s welcome. The following year, 1902, Major Dixon retired from the armyand settled down to civilian life, enjoying his great love of horses, hunting and painting. Initially Clive and Lilian lived at Langbaurgh Hall, Great Ayton. Then in 1909 Clive built Chapelgarth at Little Broughton, which became the family home. Clive and Lilian had three sons and three daughters. Their charmed life came to an abrupt end with the start of the Great War. Clive had to surrender his beloved horses to the army, and then he volunteered to rejoin the 16th Lancers, although by now he was forty-four years old. Within two weeks of war being declared, he was in France as second-in-command of his old regiment. The 16th Lancers, as part of the British Expeditionary Force (BEF), were fighting alongside the French, in an unsuccessful attempt to halt the German advance at Mons.
After the retreat from Mons, and action at the Battle of the Marne, the 16th Lancers moved to Flanders. Memories of magnificent cavalry charges across the open veldt of South Africa were lost in the mud of the trenches. During the First Battle of Ypres, in October and early November 1914, four out of five members of the BEF were wounded or killed. Major Dixon lost his life on 5 November 1914. In the trenches to the left of the Lancers were French troops in some disarray. Major Dixon drew his sword and attempted to
rally them into a counter attack, but received a bullet in his stomach. Seriously wounded, he was carried by an army padre to a field ambulance, but later died from his wounds.
Clive Macdonnell Dixon is buried in the Nieuwkerke Churchyard in Belgium. His headstone carries the inscription ‘Strong and of good courage, Sans peur et sans reproche’. The earlier wooden cross marking the grave is now preserved in St Augustine’s Church in Kirkby-in-Cleveland. His name also appears on the War Memorials at Great Broughton and Kirkby.
Image and Below Extract Ref: "Memorials of Rugbeians, who fell in the Great War Vol 1-7"
Printed for Rugby School by Philip Lee Warner (O.R.) of the Medici Society Ltd.
MAJOR C. M. DIXON
16th (THE QUEEN'S) LANCERS
CLIVE MacDONNELL DIXON, of Chapelgarth, Stokesley, Yorkshire, was
the eldest son of Sir Raylton Dixon, Ship Builder, of Gunnergate Hall
near Middlesborough, and of Lady Dixon, daughter of Robert Walker, M.D.
He entered the School in 1884, left in 1887, and was gazetted to the
26th Lancers, then stationed at Lucknow, in 1890.
He saw service in the Chitral Campaign of 1895, receiving the Medal
with Clasp, and went with the Indian Contingent to South Africa, on the
outbreak of War in 1899. During the siege of Ladysmith he was A.D.C
to Sir George White, and Camp Commandant. He served through the
whole War, was awarded the Brevet rank of Major, and received the two
Medals with eight Clasps.
When this War was over he resigned his Commission, but immediately
on the outbreak of War with Germany, Colonel MacEwen applied for
Major Dixon to be his Second in Command, and he crossed to France with
the Regiment in August, 1914.
He took part in the Retreat from Mons, and the Battles of the Marne
and of the Aisne. He was mortally wounded when in temporary command
of the 16th Lancers, who were gallantly holding their own in the trenches,
against the enemy's attacks, near Ypres, on November 5th, 1914. Age 45.
He was mentioned in Despatches of January 14th, 1915.
The following are extracts from letters from the General Commanding
the Brigade, his Colonel and brother Officers
"It was a grand and gallant action, and gave one more proof of his
splendid spirit. I never can tell you what good work he has done here,
both in his skill and capacity in handling troops and in his grand constancy
and cheerfulness in our moments of anxiety."
"I sent in his name for gallantry, on the second day of the Mons
Battle, for carrying out of action, under a heavy shell fire, a man of the
18th Hussars, whose horse was shot - a typical act on his part.
"He was adored by everyone, Officers and men. One of the finest
characters I ever came across. He was a very fine soldier and did not know
the meaning of fear."
"He was acting most gallantly at the time he was shot, rallying some
French who were next to us, and behaving in the splendid way that always
him as the very best The example set is one that all might envy."
And one of the men of the Regiment, writing home to his mother, said
“Major Dixon ran along the trench, telling us to stick it out and show
what we were made of and as all of us were very fond of him, we did stick
He was a keen sportsman and, also, a successful artist. He exhibited
several large pictures at the Royal Academy.
He married, in 1898, Lilian, daughter of John Bell, of Rushpool Hall,
Saltburn, and Algiers, and had six children.
Patent Hilt Wilkinson Sword numbered 29858 for November 1889. Comes with a copy of the Wilkinson Sword ledger page, confirming sale to Hakes&Co for supply to C.M. Dixon.
Etched panel on the right hand side of the blade with initials "C.M.D."
A very pleasing and clean sword throughout, with only minor staining and a very small areas of light pitting to the central spine section, and the VR etch to either side.
Housed in the original and correct field service brown leather scabbard.
Blade length 34.75 inches.
Also supplied with digital images of Major Dixon, including one of him wearing this sword.
Strictly over 18's only.
Code: 52489Price: 1795.00 GBP
Westley Richards Howdah Pistol
An extremely good double barrelled percussion “howdah” pistol, by Westley Richards,
14 inches overall, Sighted damascus twist barrels measuring 7 1/4 inches.
Top rib engraved “Westley Richards, 170 New Bond St London”,
Both locks engraved "Westley Richards" and fitted with safety catches.
Walnut full stock with rounded chequered butt, horn fore-end cap, platinum plugs, silver barrel wedge plates and escutcheon, engraved trigger guard, and captive swivel ramrod.
Silver escutcheon bearing family crest, the property of Frederick Edward Morrice JP of Betteshanger House, Betteshanger, Kent, born 1778, succeeded father 1815, died 1858. He saw service with the 1st Dragoon Guards during the Peninsula War.
Numbered to trigger guard rib, offering further research potential.
Crisp action to both locks, both retaining functioning safety catches.
William Westley Gunmaker, Birmingham, from 1812. Retail shop (with William Bishop as agent) 170 New Bond Street, 1826-72. 25 Lawrence Pountney Street, 1853-5. Gunmaker to Prince Albert. Died 1865. Firm then run by son, Wesley Richards.
Howard L. Blackmore (1986) Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850
Further images available at 52487.
Strictly over 18's only.
Code: 52486Price: 2100.00 GBP
Westley Richards Howdah Pistol (2)
Further images of 52486.
Code: 52487Price: On Request
Silver Hilted Naval DIrk
A superb Georgian silver hilted naval dirk of extremely high quality.
Pommel with lions mask. The grip of carved ivory with rope twist border.
Crossguard with lion mask finials, scalloped line decoration, and complete with original ball chain knuckleguard. Single langet with lions mark.
Blade appears plain with no signs of decoration.
Blade length just over 17.5 inches.
Some old rust and dirt, with minor litting at the point. Some bending, as one might expect, but solid with no cracks or fractures.
The scabbard leather appears later, but has been mounted with the original silver scabbard mounts, decorated with floral decoration. The top mount appearing to bear continental hallmarks.
A very scarce example, of the highest quality.
Strictly over 18's Only
Code: 52491Price: 595.00 GBP
Wilkinson Special Pattern Scroll Hilt Cavalry Sword
A very interesting and scarce Scroll hilted cavalry sword manufactured by Wilkinson sword.
One of the cleanest swords I have ever owned, and made as a special order for one "Harry Parr" in March 1879. Housed in an unusual leather covered steel scabbard (presumably to reduce the risk of light reflection, whilst maintaining a sturdy housing in the days before the field service scabbard.) The hilt of of the coveted "Scroll" form, more commonly associated with Indian service. Aside from the Wilkinson manufactures details, the proof slug and star, and the number on the spine, the sword's 35 inch blade is completely plain, with the exception of a small scroll containing the name "Harry Parr"
Taking these unusual features together, it is safe to assume that this sword was made for a professional soldier, most likely a mounted officer, who wanted the very best, and most effective sword at his side, rather than a sword for "show".
Judging by a hunt through the army lists, the most likely candidate that fits the dates of the sword manufacture would be Henry Hallam Parr.
Date of First Commission 8 Sept 1865
Promoted Major-General 1 July 1899
Date of being placed on Retired List 14 Nov 1906.
Parr was the officer who first received Colonel Pulleine's final dispatch from Isandhlwana on the 22nd January 1879, shortly before the 1/24th were overwhelmed by Zulu forces.
A folder of research on this individual will accompany the sword, along with the Wilkinson Proof Book entry for this sword.
Strictly over 18's only.
Code: 52490Price: 1495.00 GBP
Wilkinson Officers Sword 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons Major Mosley
The sword of Major Arthur Rowland Mosley.
Arthur Rowland Mosley was born on 8 May 1862 at Egginton, Derbyshire, England.
He was the son of Reverend Rowland Mosley and Jane Charlotte Rose Every.
He married Henrietta Bolden, daughter of Henry Bolden and Robina Wedderburn Campion, on 16 October 1899 at Paddington, London, England.
He served with the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons, and fought with the regiment during operations in Zululand during 1888, and the Boer War, where he was severely wounded, whilst in command of "A" Squadron.
Major Mosley was awarded both the Queens Medal with three clasps & the Kings medal with 2 clasps for South African War.
He lived at The Hollies, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard, and when he retired from the Army with the rank of Major, They lived at Burnaston House, Egginton, Derbyshire, and post war Moseley held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Derbyshire.
He died on 20 March 1923 at age 60 at Branston House, Derbyshire, England.
Great potential for further research, and a scarce opportunity to own a sword to an officer who fought and was wounded during the Boer War.
Blade length 34.75 inches.
Blade is in good untouched condition, with some age related staining, blemishes and light pitting toward the mid section. Showing no signs of having been cleaned, I suspect the overall appearance could be greatly improved.. The sword has been service sharpened.
95% of the shagreen complete, areas of loss to the upper grip and bound by silver twist wire. Honeysuckle hilt is dirty and requires a clean, but crisp detail is visible under the grime.
Accompanied by some research, confirmation from Wilkinson sword that this sword belonged to Mosley, and a digital copy of a Photograph showing Mosley wearing this very sword.
Code: 52488Price: 595.00 GBP
WW2 Private Purchase Kukri
One of the best quality WW2 era kukri you are likely to find, and offered in excellent untouched condition with much of the original polish remaining.
12.25 inch blade, 17 inches overall.
Strictly over 18's Only
UK Sales only.
Code: 52493Price: 175.00 GBP
& maintained by Concept500